Obviously, being new to the world of meat free, I needed a bit of guidance when it came to creating tasty meals for myself. All hail Pinterest, my vegetarian recipe saviour. I found a simple lentil and coconut curry recipe on there from the amazing The Endless Meal and I decided to give it a go.
Baring in mind, I went a bit rogue with the ingredients, but it still tasted amazing! I thought I’d share the recipe with you and convert it into more UK friendly measurements and also give you the alternatives I chose, to make things a little quicker.
Coconut and Red Lentil Curry
Suitable For Freezing
1x 400g Coconut Milk
1x 400g Canned Chopped Tomatoes
3x Garlic Cloves Diced
1 tbsp Ground Turmeric
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Coriander Leaf
1 tbsp Mild Chilli Powder
2 tsp of Sea Salt
130g Red Lentils
1L of Water
1) Pour the can of chopped tomatoes and all of the spices, garlic and salt in a large pan and bring to the boil.
2) Throw in the lentils and give it all a good mix up.
3) Add the water in and leave to simmer for 35-40 Minutes. Keep checking every 10-15 minutes or so as this can go from sloppy to burnt very quickly without supervision.
4) If you check the mixture and it’s a little bit dry, add another splash of water.
5) Once it’s ready, throw in chuck the coconut milk in and give it a good stir, heating through completely.
6) Serve with rice or fluffy quinoa for a delicious curry dinner!
This made around 6 portions, at a stretch. I would aim for maybe 5 and freeze a few for when you need a healthy and nutritious meal, but don’t want to cook!
Watch my first daily vlog to see me make this delicious curry!